How to stop organza from fraying

The second dress I made for a customer was all in purple.

image

It was made out of organza and satin.

Sewing with organza was the most difficult task I had.

The method I used to stop the organza from fraying was,I cut the pattern pieces by adding a half an inch for the original pattern. Then stitched all around with a zig zag stitch 1/4 inch from the edge. Then burnt the edges. So it was more stable and stopped fraying completely. Then lined it as usual with cotton. And pressed the bodice with lot of steam.

image

I finished the dress with a invisible zipper and added a sash for a more formal look.

image

The skirt is also lined with the same cotton fabric. I added a ruffle for the inner skirt for a fluffy effect.

Hope you enjoy reading!
Till next time
Sameeha.

Advertisements

Flip from front to back

I flipped the Ethan shirt pattern from front to back for this month’s flip this pattern at frances and suzanne.

 

image

I wanted to make up a blouse to go with theĀ shorts I made for my daughter.

 

image

So with this as an inspirationĀ  I made up my flip also adding my own variation and added it to the the knock it off series on the Elegance and elephants.

 

image

These are the modification I did for the pattern;

As I said earlier, I cutout the front pattern piece and used it as the back.Then bought the back piece to the front which I scooped up at the neckline.

image

Also I added a piping for the yolk to add colour.

 

 

image

I added flutter sleeves with bias tape.

 

 

image

The buttons I used were yellow floral to enhance the beauty of the blouse.

image

I used a swiss dot fabric to keep my daughter cool in the Sri Lankan hot weather. She is comfortable for sure because she doesn’t want to take it off!

Till next time
Sameeha

Sunny day shorts – customized

I just can’t get enough of the sunny day shorts from Oliver + S. And with shorts on the line now happening I thought I’ll enter another version of the sunny day shorts.

image

I used a much lighter fabric this time – a quilted cotton.

image

I sewed it up using a flat felt seam. I know I just love the finish I get out of it. For the contrasting pockets and the cuffs I used a floral swiss dot fabric.

image

image

This is the back of the shorts

image

I’m planning to sew up a top to go with the shorts. Hope it would come up nice.

Thanks for reading
Till next time
Sameeha.

http://www.smallfriendly.com/.a/6a0133ec490e97970b01a73df5627c970d-pi

KCW summer- what I made.

It was KCW last week. You could read all about it here. I made a t-shirt using the signature dress and a pair of shorts using the free pattern from oliver + s.

image

I never got to sit and sew for one whole hour this week. So I thought of not giving up and use the time I get to do the whole outfit. I know it took me a whole week to finish it up! But still I didn’t give up!!!

First and second day was all about cutting out the patterns.

image

image

Third and fourth day was sewing the shorts.

image

I used the same denim fabric I used here. But stitched it using hot pink thread for my baby girl.

image

Fifth and sixth day I used to sew up the T-shirt

image

Oh and today the last day I used it to snap it up and write up the post.

I know I didn’t abide by the rules. But I’m happy I participated in my first KCW. May be next time I’ll try my best to stick to the rules.

Till next time
Sameeha.

http://blog.kidsclothesweek.com/

My version of the croquet dress

The croquet dress from Oliver +  S is this month’s flip this pattern at Frances and Suzanne. Here I present my version of this beautiful pattern.

image

Sewen using a silk solid and a voile print, I just love how it all came out together!

image

My flips are;
As you can see I added the floral print to the solid. As a color block dress. This was done just above the waist.

image

I gave both the sides an inch space near the chest area, because to give that gathering effect after adding the elastic.

image

For the sleeves I added some volume using the slash and spread method.

Added a piping with the floral voile to the sleeve.

image

And replaced the bow with a fabric flower.

image

Above all my favorite was the wooden button on the flower and the back.

image

I put together an outfit to my daughter which she love so much.

image

Thanks for reading.
Till next time
Sameeha.

image

Sunny day shorts another version

As I promised another version of the sunny day shorts from Oliver+s.

Its a size 5 as before. I used a denim material.

image

The changes I did were, increasing the length of the shorts by 5 inches,

image

And added two front linned pockets.

image

Oh and I almost forgot! I used flat felled seams to sew up the shorts to give it a more professional finish.

image

This is the back view.

image

It has a great fit. And my son just loves it!!

image

Till next time
Sameeha.